Speisekarte (photo)

elmingo

France, French
Hi all,

I'm currently subtitling an Austrian film into French, using English subtitles translated from German, and a young boy taking a picture with his new camera asks everybody to say "Speisekarte!"
Is this an equivalent of the "cheese!" used in English- and French-speaking countries ?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
  • Frieder

Never heard "Speisekarte" before as a word to make people smile for a photo. Mostly we say "cheeese" like in English, though "money" gives broader smiles.

A better German word would be "Eiscreme". You don't have to stretch your mouth very much saying "Speisekarte".

Hutschi

I asked in a photography forum.

They have mentioned two German phrases:

• Ameisenscheiße
    • Marmelade
    ---

"Speisekarte" is rhyming with "Ameißenscheiße" (a dirty fun word and pseudo-taboo) - so it works.

The "ei" sound has similar movements of the mouth as "ee" in "cheese".

Demiurg

German
    I asked in a photography forum.

They have mentioned two German phrases:
    • Ameisenscheiße
    • Marmelade
    Das mit der "Marmelade" ist falsch bzw. ein uralter Witz:
    Ein Breitmaulfrosch läßt ein Porträtfoto anfertigen, möche aber, dass der Mund nicht so breit wirkt.
    Fotograf: "Kein Problem, wenn ich Ihnen ein Zeichen gebe, sagen Sie: "Konfitüre".
    Es ist soweit und der Fotograf gibt das Zeichen.
    Breitmaulfrosch: "Marmelade"

Hutschi

Nein, mit dem Witz hat es nichts zu tun. "Konfitüre" funktioniert nicht.
    Es ist ein Fotoforum, leider im internen Bereich. Vielleicht wird das "e" überdeutlich gesprochen.

Weitere Antworten:
    sprachlich: "Spaghetti"
    Auffordern, nicht zu lachen. Das klappt meist.
    nichtsprachlich: Hupe, da müssen die Kinder lachen.

Hutschi

Hi all,

I'm currently subtitling an Austrian film into French, using English subtitles translated from German, and a young boy taking a picture with his new camera asks everybody to say "Speisekarte!"
    Is this an equivalent of the "cheese!" used in English- and French-speaking countries ?

Thanks for your help!

In a special sense, it is an equivalent.

it has two reasons:

1. to get a funny mood.
    2. To produce movements of the mouth which are looking like smiling.

I asked in a Potography forum, there are different words, the most are funny. Additionally they have long vowels to produce a smile-like movement of the mouth in a synchronized way.

The semantical sense of the words is very different.