spend $50 billion (on) fighting

LQZ

Mandarin
But, incensed over the president’s “failure to remain true” to a campaign promise to spend $50 billion over five years fighting the AIDS epidemic overseas, Mr. Nutt disrupted Mr. Obama this fall at a Boston rally. New York Times (subscription, free)

Dear all,

Since spend money generally collocates with on doing, I think there is a preposition "on" missed out before fighting. May I have your opinions? Thanks.

LQZ

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, LQZ. I agree that the preposition "on" works well after the verb "spend". It's certainly possible to delete it as the writer did, however.

I think this deletion is pretty common when writers use other verbs after "spend":

I spent twenty thousand dollars on a new car.
    I spent twenty thousand dollars on lawyers' fees.
    I spent twenty thousand dollars fighting my ex-wife in court for the custody of our children.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Hello, LQZ. I agree that the preposition "on" works well after the verb "spend". It's certainly possible to delete it as the writer did, however.

I think this deletion is pretty common when writers use other verbs after "spend":

I spent twenty thousand dollars on a new car.
    I spent twenty thousand dollars on lawyers' fees.
    I spent twenty thousand dollars fighting my ex-wife in court for the custody of our children.
    Thank you, owlman. :)

I've got it.

< Previous | Next >