Spielerei

< Previous | Next >

Pinkfairy208

English
Hi, i'm having trouble translating the word 'Spielerei' in this context as i'm not quite sure what it refers to.

Die heute als Spielerei anmutenden maritimen Bauten am Großteich dienten im 18. Jahrhundert dem kürfurstlichen Hof und seinen Gästen als Kulisse beim Befahren des Großteiches mit Fregatte oder Gondeln.

The buildings on the Great pond, maritime in appearance and now purely for show, were intended in the 18th Century as a backdrop for the crossing of the great lake by Frigate or Gondola as a show for the Electoral court and guests.

That is the translation I have come up with, I was just wondering if anyone knew what the sense of the word Spielerei is?

Thanks

• Hutschi

"Spielerei" in your context is often connected with ornaments and decorations with purely eastetical value (Verzierungen).

You should see it in connection with "anmutend".

Today they seem to be to us purely decorations without practical value. (This is context, not a translation.)

They liked to play with forms: "als Spielerei anmutend" is positive, I think. But this depends on the point of view.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    The Great Pond buildings, toylike maritime structures to our contemporary eyes, served in the the 18th century as ...

Dan2

US
    English (US)
    Die heute als Spielerei anmutenden maritimen Bauten am Großteich ...

The buildings on the Great pond, maritime in appearance and now purely for show ...
    I agree that a good translation for "Spielerei" is difficult to find, but that aside, I just wanted to point out that it seems to me you mis-analyzed the syntax here. I see the original sentence as being equivalent to:

Die maritimen Bauten am Großteich, die heute als Spielerei anmuten, ...

< Previous | Next >