spike a volleyball

Discussion in 'English Only' started by quietdandelion, Sep 18, 2007.

1. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Can you spike?
    Can you spike a volleyball?
    Can you spike a ball?

Which one sounds right? Thanks.

2. The Slippery Slide Senior Member

Japan
    Britain
    Where did you get this from, quietdandelion? What does 'spike' mean in this context?

3. The Slippery Slide Senior Member

Japan
    Britain
    Ah, sorry. I see it's a term connected specifically to volleyball. I leave this to someone who knows about the game.

4. Bookworm123 Senior Member

USA English
    Can you spike?:tick: Spiking the ball is forbidden in volleyball tournaments.
    Can you spike a volleyball? :warn: This is not very commonly used. However, I think sometimes people use this phrase, but with the definite article. As in, " I want to spike the volleyball." This seems better.
    Can you spike a ball?:tick: Don't spike the ball!

5. Musical Chairs Senior Member

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    All of them sound right except for the second one because a volleyball is a ball.

I don't play volleyball but I know you "bump" balls too and you can replace "spike" with "bump" up there and things would sound fine.

6. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Slide, for the reply.
    In our language, we always say "kill ball" to mean "spike the volleyball" or "smash the shuttlecock," but I wonder if "spike the volleyball" sounds right or not.

7. luckynumba23 Senior Member

English USA
    I play volleyball and we always said spike. Hit is the correct term, except spike is more widely known. I think if you are talking about volleyball in the sentence before, then you could say "can you spike?". Otherwise I would say, "can you spike a volleyball?"

good luck!
    luckynumba23;-)

8. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, my helpful friends.