spike [dance]

VicNicSor

Russian
Frances is worried about her dance performance with a partner which is happening in a few minutes.
- I'm afraid I'm gonna... forget to spike, get dizzy and fall on my face.
Dirty Dancing, movie

How do you understand the word "spike" here?
Thank you.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I don't understand the word 'spike' in this context, though someone else may.

I know the word 'spot', which is what dancers do to keep from getting dizzy when they twirl . They focus on a spot on the wall, and keep turning their head to look at it with each turn.
    You can find a video showing this technique by searching for 'spotting dance turns'.

On the other hand, if the word really was 'spike' and not 'spot', none of this is relevant. :oops: :(

Cagey

English - US
    I see that there are several transcripts on the Internet that have 'spike' there.
    However, this one has 'spot':
    Dirty Dancing View more episodes - Ark TV

00:29:14 What if I forget the steps?
    00:29:15 Pull up, watch your frame, and remember: Let him lead you.
    00:29:19 I'm afraid I'm gonna forget to spot, get dizzy, and fall on my face.
    I can't say which version is accurate, of course. Perhaps you have heard the video.

VicNicSor

Russian
    Hmmm... from what I'm hearing, it's really spike (I even tried listening to it at an extremely low speed)
    And this Ark TV transcript is not very accurate - it has two mistakes in the next line :)

Cagey

English - US
    OK. The person who did the Ark transcript may have written what they thought they should hear rather than what they actually did hear.

My tentative conclusion is that it's an error in the original script -- subject to correction by someone who is familiar with 'spike' with a meaning that fits the context. :)

VicNicSor

Russian
    When dancing, no matter what type, if you spin; you spike. If however, you do not spike, you then get dizzy. Resulting in falling on your face, which- in any situation, isn't the best thing to do. I, however, have though about this a lot and decided that you need not only spike when dancing- but all the time. Constantly, in life, you will come across times where you just get dizzy, it all becomes to much, you fall.
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/23134660-don't-forget-to-spike
    It really seems to be some special slang with the meaning of "focus on a spot":)

truepurple

English-US
    If you don't give enough effort and focus to do it right, then the spinning would make you dizzy.

I understand dancers use methods like focusing their eyes on one spot and keeping their head still then snapping it over repeatedly and so on, to avoid getting dizzy. Probably other methods too, which would require a great deal of effort.

Spike your effort in order to avoid messing up in your moves, thus getting dizzy. Not saying that is what spike means, just that it fits.

VicNicSor

Russian
    If you don't give enough effort and focus to do it right, then the spinning would make you dizzy.

I understand dancers use methods like focusing their eyes on one spot and keeping their head still then snapping it over repeatedly and so on, to avoid getting dizzy. Probably other methods too, which would require a great deal of effort.

Spike your effort in order to avoid messing up in your moves, thus getting dizzy. Not saying that is what spike means, just that it fits.
    I understand what you mean, but according to an Oxford Dictionary definition of "spike", which is
    stop the progress of (a plan or undertaking); put an end to
    ... the "spike" has the opposite meaning and she would have had to say "forget to not spike":oops:

truepurple

English-US
    Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >