Spike peak

Jignesh77

India- hindi
I am reading an old article in the Metro UK regarding a heat wave last year. The bold headline is - 999 calls spike peak but relief

what part of speech is "spike peak" ?

is "relief" a noun?

thanks

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I can't make sense of that. '999 calls' is a noun phrase: phone calls to the emergency number. They peak (verb): that is, they are reaching a peak. Or they spike (verb): that is, they shoot up in a spike. Such a spike is of course probably a peak also. But I can't see how there can be a peak of a spike: with '999 calls spike' a noun phrase (a spike in 999 calls) peaking (its verb). I don't understand how 'spike' and 'peak' work together.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I wonder if the headline spread across onto the right hand page, and it should read "999 calls spike [...] peak but relief [...]". I might possibly come up with some explanation for "spike peak", but I cannot think of any explanation for "but relief", if nothing else follows.

Copyright

American English
    I'm thinking that someone wrote "peak" then decided "spike" then forgot to delete "peak" – or vice versa. A normal headline might read:

999 calls spike
    but relief soon

However, here's the online source of the Metro UK article – and there's no relief in sight:

London 999 calls double on hottest day of the year

London paramedics have received double the number of average 999 calls per hour – because of the warm weather.

Saturday was the sixth busiest day ever for emergency calls to reports of incidents that were immediately life-threatening, said Jason Killens, director of operations at London Ambulance.

At its peak the service took 403 calls an hour – double what it would normally receive.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >