spike the ball

snorklefritz

English - Canada
comment dit-on <spike the ball> as a volleyball term? I.e., cela veut dire quand on frappe fort le ballon avec seulement un bras pendant qu'on joue au volleyball. C'est un technique difficile pour l'adversaire à retourner.

• Reliure

Comment dit-on <spike the ball> as a volleyball term? I.e., cela veut dire quand on frappe fort le ballon avec un bras seulement, pendant qu'on joue au volleyball. C'est une ;)technique difficile à parer pour l'adversaire.
    Hi snorklefritz,
    I am afraid French language stole the word from English.:)

This is to be confirmed by people who practice the volleyball, but I am pretty sure that the verb for this action is "smasher".
    • In tennis it means : to hit violently the ball so that it smashes on the ground and then bounces far away from the player.
    • In basketball we use it as well meaning : "to dunk".
    Note that we pronounce it : smatcher ! :D

Reliure

Alors pourrait-on dire qu'on a fait un smash aussi bien qu'on smash le ballon?
    Usually people say :
    • il a smashé
    • il a fait un smash.
    Note that the terminology used by professional volleyball player is : attaquer le ballon.

In "une attaque" you have got 3 stages :
    1. réception
    2. passe
    3. attaque (attaque, here, is smash ;))
    You have got 3 sorts of smash :
    1. "attaque aux trois mètres" one player receives the ball and hit it to the other adversarial team placed at the 3 meters line from the net
    2. "attaque en courte" just in front of the net one player does a short pass just above the head of the other who spikes the ball
    3. "attaque tendue"one player near the net throws the ball verticaly above him and his team mate hit it

< Previous | Next >