spike

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sun14, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Hello, my friends,

I came across a sentence on FOX NEWS:

"In addition to adding key food groups into your diet, it's important to subtract foods that cause a spike and corresponding crash in your blood sugar levels."

This is an article taking about the way to deal with seasonal affective disorder in U.S.. Would you give me some advice on the meaning of spike? Thank you.

2. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    From the WR dictionary:

n.
    [countable]
    Building, Rail Transporta naillike fastener, 3 to 12 in. (7.6 to 30.5 cm) long, for fastening together heavy timbers.
    something resembling such a nail, as a piece of metal sticking out of the heel and sole of a shoe for improving gripping power.
    spikes,
    [plural]

• shoes having such metal parts on the heel and sole, as for playing baseball.

• shoes having very high, slender heels that resemble spikes.
    a sudden increase or rise:
    a sharp spike in the unemployment statistics.

3. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

4. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

The applicable definition can be found in the WR dictionary (and other dictionaries, too, of course): "a sudden increase or rise." Is there something about the definition that confuses you?

(Cross-posted with James)

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    In literal terms, a spike is a sharp pointed instrument. In mathematical terms, a spike is sudden rise, usually on a graph or in statistics, and usually followed by an equally dramatic fall so the line looks like a spike.

Here is a picture of a spike on a graph: [​IMG]

6. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Thanks for all your kind relies.

7. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    I check Collins and find one of the meanings associated with alcohol. I am confused that i might be a kind of disorder. Now it is clear. Thank you very much.