spiking and spike

Discussion in 'English Only' started by thuhoai, May 21, 2011.

1. thuhoai Senior Member

Vietnam
    Hi, everyone

Spiking is not the only pension-related abuse drawing scrutiny. Lawmakers from Washington state to New Jersey are taking steps to curb so-called double dipping, where government retirees go back to work on the public payroll while still collecting a pension, such as a New York school superintendent who earned $225,000 and also collected a $316,245 pension.

"Spiking" in the above context is Noun.
    I look up "spike" in dictionary also a Noun.

My question is the difference meaning between "spiking" and "spike".
    Thanks in advance

2. TacoNight Senior Member

France
    English - USA
    This is a very specific use of the word spike here. I found an article on wikipedia entitled 'pension spiking' which applies here. The verb form would be 'to spike'.

I spiked my pension by getting a raise right before I retired.

3. thuhoai Senior Member

Vietnam
    Sorry.... My question is that what is the difference meaning between "spiking" and "spike".

4. TacoNight Senior Member

France
    English - USA
    Well, you said you looked up each word. What did you find out? That will give a better idea where your confusion is.

5. thuhoai Senior Member

Vietnam
    Can I say that : Spike is not the only pension-related abuse drawing scrutiny.

6. TacoNight Senior Member

France
    English - USA
    No, you cannot. A spike refers either to a piece of metal or an increase in some quantity. Here the term "spiking" is referring to an action, namely, artificially raising one's salary before retirement to increase the pension payments. This is 'to spike a pension', so the gerund form is 'spiking'.

7. divisortheory Senior Member

San Francisco, CA USA
    United States, English
    There is only one way I can think of to use spike as a noun. It is an object, usually made out of metal, shaped like a cone, and you can stab someone with it (picture).

In this case, spiking is a gerund form of the verb to spike. Just like running / to run or talking / to talk. to spike (verb) in this case has a completely different meaning than spike (noun)