spine building

• Packard

USA, English
    A google search finds a fair amount of "spine building exercise" entries.

The only other interpretation would be in book binding, but I doubt there would be a book binding floor in a sports center.

Here is an image showing how books are bound:

marsbeing

Many thanks for your help, Packard. Just like you, I doubt spine building would have anything to do with book binding in that context.

I will see what others have to say about this term.

Thanks again. : )

Andygc

British English
    These two words appear in the floor plan of a sports institute.
    What other words appear in the floor plan? Are other places called "{something} building"? Is it clear that "spine building" refers to a room, or does it refer to a building?

Andygc

British English
    Yes, that is a common meaning for "spine building" - although it would normally connect more than two buildings.

Packard

USA, English
    Yes, that is a common meaning for "spine building" - although it would normally connect more than two buildings.
    I've never heard that usage in the USA, but this appears to be in Australia so that means little.

Andygc

British English
    a continuous structure linking floors or entities
    Yes, it's the spine - the backbone - of the building. For example, a hospital could have a series of wings containing the wards and departments. The long central structure joining them all together is the spine. This image is not the clearest, but you can see that all of the wings are joined by a long central building - the spine.

bennymix

Here is the description from the above url:

Boots factory [entry]

designed by Sir Owen Williams, built 1938.

The building consists of three zones planned for incoming raw material, manufacture, and packaging and shipping. A five story central spine houses maufacturing porcesses that are top fed as in the "Wets" building. . However the atria are omitted....Although built in reinforced concrete, the structural system is also different. Flat slab sonstruction , limited to the central spine building, is carefully integrated with the structure of the roofs over the single story bays at either side.....

< Previous | Next >