split an hour into two twenty-five minutes and two five-minutes

cindybai

chinese-china
Hi there,
I just wrote my own composition and want to ensure if the sentence can be improved.
Below is the sentence I wrote:
For instance, in my high school, my teacher encouraged me to split an hour into two twenty-five minutes and two five-minutes and to take a five-minute break after each twenty-five minutes.
Thanks~

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We don't check work over for mistakes, cindybai.

If you have a specific question about a particular word or phrase, please ask it, and people will try to help you. The question could be something like a word choice, or a verb tense, or some other part of the sentence.

What do you think might be a mistake if there is a mistake?

cindybai

chinese-china
    Actually, I just think it is a little bit redundant and probably I can stop repeating the five-minute and twenty-five minutes but I do not know how~

Cagey

English - US
    Do you think you could leave the 'split an hour' section out? That would give you something like:

For instance, in my high school, my teacher encouraged me [] to take a five-minute break after each twenty-five minutes.
    (I would say "each twenty-five minutes of study/ reading, etc.")​

Is there some reason you wanted to mention that this happens twice an hour?

cindybai

chinese-china
    In that paragraph, I talked about the importance of time management and then I want to use this example to illustrate the relationship between arranging time and improving study efficiency. My English teacher told me when using example, it should be in details but she also said to avoid repetition. That sounds like controversial to me in my example.

Cagey

English - US
    Yes, I think that in this example, the goals of being detailed and avoiding repetition may conflict.

You might also think about which details help people understand what you want to say, and which do not add much.

< Previous | Next >