Spoiled (Children)

RhoKappa

Standard American English
This is a very common English expression. A spoiled child is one who has received everything from parents. To say one is spoiled means to be given many luxuries, or was never denied anything the child ever wanted. For example, a girl who never had a job was given a car, a computer, internet access, many fine clothes and an iPhone, along with many other luxuries, is considered spoiled. "Spoiled brat" is a negative label for a child who whines for not getting anything he wants.

What is the Russian expression? Как сказать по-русски?

• ksenor

Russian
    Russian equivalents for "spoiled child" are избалованный ребёнок, or баловень. Or you may translate it literally - испорченный ребёнок.

Maroseika

Russian
    i only know the word баловень from the expression баловень судьбы (someone who has undeserved luck all their life).
    Баловень (Ожегов):
    1. Человек, которого балуют, которому во всём потворствуют.
    2. То же, что баловник.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    Баловень (Ожегов):
    1. Человек, которого балуют, которому во всём потворствуют.
    2. То же, что баловник.
    Oh come on! Ожегов is great, but have you ever in your life heard or used баловень in an actual conversation, with the meaning of "spoiled child"??? The value of this forum is to get perspective from native speakers, anyone can look in a dictionary.

dec-sev

Russian
    Oh come on! Ожегов is great, but have you ever in your life heard or used баловень in an actual conversation, with the meaning of "spoiled child"??? The value of this forum is to get perspective from native speakers, anyone can look in a dictionary.
    I guess that Maroseika just wanted to broaden you vocabulary ;)

@Maroseika: How did in come about that rusita had written I as it should be (capitalized) but when you cited her quotation the letter turned into i?

@RhoKappa: I hope that you've got it that the best variant is in post#2 :)

galaxy man

Hungarian
    I see in this topic that stress in the word избалованный is on the "o". If I am not mistaken those, from whom I leaned this word (a long time ago :) always said: избаловать, избалованный. Has the pronunciation changed, or was the stressed "o" always the mainstream version?

konung

Russian & English (American Midwest)
    Russian equivalents for "spoiled child" are избалованный ребёнок, or баловень. Or you may translate it literally - испорченный ребёнок.
    Nope that wouldn't be a literal translation. Literal translation of "испорченный ребёнок" would be "rotten child".

konung

Russian & English (American Midwest)
    I see in this topic that stress in the word избалованный is on the "o". If I am not mistaken those, from whom I leaned this word (a long time ago :) always said: избаловать, избалованный. Has the pronunciation changed, or was the stressed "o" always the mainstream version?

I personally think that you are correct I always use to say "избалованный." to check you may use: "бАловать", not "балОвать". But then again that may be regional difference.

Maroseika

Russian
    to check you may use: "бАловать", not "балОвать". But then again that may be regional difference.
    According to the dictionary of Gorbachevich, the main variant is баловАть, not бАловать. The latter is not wrong but "not recommended".
    By the way, избАлованный is also just "not recommended", but not wrong.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    I have to support Rusita here:

Despite Ожегов, I never heard, or read, the word "баловень" in the sense "spoiled one". Actually I don't recall ever reading it outside the expression "баловень судьбы". Which does not mean that the word has no such meaning - it only means, that in such meaning it is mostly used as a part of a stable expression.

The other this is "балованый" - in speech it is widely used interchangeably with "избалованный".

Nanon

français (France)
    - А, Волков, здравствуйте! - сказал Илья Ильич.
    - Здравствуйте, Обломов, - говорил блистающий господин, подходя к нему.
    - Не подходите, не подходите: вы с холода! - сказал тот.
    - О баловень, сибарит! - говорил Волков, глядя, куда бы положить шляпу, и, видя везде пыль, не положил никуда; раздвинул обе полы фрака, чтобы сесть, но, посмотрев внимательно на кресло, остался на ногах. - Вы еще не вставали! Что это на вас за шлафрок? Такие давно бросили носить, - стыдил он Обломова.
    But I must say I never heard it in an actual conversation...

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    "Какой баловничок — увел самоходную баржу с арбузиками, причалил в райцентре у рыночка, где пытался спустить их оптом и в розничку, в результатике чего нам предъявлен иск на 1624 руб. 72 коп."

(С. Цыпин)

RhoKappa

Standard American English
    The dictionary here translates a brat as отродье. However, when I click that word it does not translate it as a brat, but instead as scum. Is this an accurate term for brat?

Vovan

Russian
    Is this an accurate term for brat?
    It is. But figuratively "отродье" means "scum".
    Also, "brat" for "a spoiled child" can't be rendered as "отродье". In modern English, "brat" for "a spoiled child" is usually humourous. In Russian, "отродье" is very offensive.

Maroseika

Russian
    The dictionary here translates a brat as отродье. However, when I click that word it does not translate it as a brat, but instead as scum. Is this an accurate term for brat?
    This is defintely an error in the Collins dictionary.
    Отродье is offensive, but it is not a special word for a spoiled kid, it can be used in point of any person of any age. Moreover, it is rarely used alone, usually it is accompanied by an adjective (whose "offspring" someone is: царское отродье, бесовское отродье, пёсье отродье etc).

Particle

Russian-Russia
    Yandex translate gave me:
    brat <=> надоедливый ребёнок (сорванец, негодник, сопляк)
    spoiled brat = избалованный сопляк

The word is nothing and the context is everything as always.

Rosett

Russian
    In American slang, “brat” may be approximately described as «сын полка», but both meanings are in the way of extinction.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    In American slang, “brat” may be approximately described as «сын полка», but both meanings are in the way of extinction.
    Only in the fixed expression "army brat"; used alone, like others pointed out, it means избалованный ребёнок / сорванец.
    Both meanings are used extensively, no risk of extinction.

< Previous | Next >