spooky vs creepy

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

resoluteman

Azerbaijan
spooky vs creepy <-----Topic added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Is there any difference between these two adjective? I think they both mean scarry, dont they?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Oddmania

French
    I think there's a subtle difference. An (allegedly) haunted house would be spooky. A weird guy staring at kids in a playground would be creepy.

Chez

English English
    We would use them both in very similar circumstances to mean a bit scary, yes. But 'spooky' literally refers to 'spooks' or 'ghosts' – i.e. spirits from the world beyond the grave.

'Creepy' is more general. It is a place that gives you 'the creeps', a familiar term for feeling uncomfortable/scared. It could just be, for example, a dark, damp cellar where you feel terrible things might have happened; or a dark alley at night where you think someone might hide with a knife to kill you; in other words, something that scares you but may not have anything to do with 'spooks'.

Having said that, we do often use them interchangeably, because a creepy place may well have ghosts and a spooky place may well give you 'the creeps'.

resoluteman

Azerbaijan
    Well I just took my chance ,tried to figure out but It obviously looks like something one of those irksome words that is required to be a native to catch on // I give up ! And thank you all for your efforts !

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Sorry to be a nitpicker here but scarry has to do with scars. It is something that happens to you when you recover from an injury. I'm not even sure it is a word. According to the word check function it doesn't exist. :)

Good Ativan!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We do not discuss words or phrases out of context in this forum. As no sentence or context has been provided here, this thread is closed.

Florentia52
    English Only moderator

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >