Sport / Sports Science

< Previous | Next >
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Like you, I would use 'sports science', but you will notice that in the first sentence of the Wiki article you link to, they allow both:

Sports science (also sport science) is a discipline that studies how the healthy human body works during exercise, and how sport and physical activity promote health from cellular to whole body perspectives.
    The Ngram shows both in use in printed material: Google Ngram Viewer

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The website does offer both:
    Sports science
    (also sport science) is a discipline that studies how the healthy human body works during exercise,
    <noun1><noun2> constructions = <noun2> associated with <noun1>
    Sport(s)..science........................... science ...associated with..sport(s)

Note "sport" is uncountable but is the same as "sports" (countable)

Crosspost.

rhitagawr

British English
    The Loughborough University website gives sport science: Sport and Exercise Science | Undergraduate study - 2017 | Loughborough University.
    I suppose sport science means sport as a concept, sport in general. And sports science could be taken to mean the science of individual sports, e.g. the science of rugby would be different from the science of cricket. I personally wouldn't take it to mean that. I suppose you'd then say sports sciences.
    I have a slight preference for sport science, but if you've found enough printed texts to justify sports science then no one can really argue.

< Previous | Next >