sports or not (jogging, walking)

meijin

Japanese
Hi, jogging and walking are physical activities, but they aren't competitive. So, would it be wrong to answer "Jogging" or "Walking" when asked "Do you engage in any sports?" in a survey? Would you say the question should be "Do you engage in any sports or physical activities?" if it wants to count jogging and walking as appropriate answers? Maybe the question can drop the "sports or" part because sports are part of physical activities?

• meijin

Japanese
    (competitive or non-competitive) sport.
    Interesting. I was wondering if I should mention this in the original post, but isn't it odd to divide sports into "competitive sports" and "non-competitive sports" (or "recreational sports"), because "sports" are "competitive activities" (according to my Oxford and Collins dictionaries) and that "competitive sports" would mean "competitive competitive activities"? Or does "competitive sports" mean more like "non-recreational sports" (meaning they are still competitive but enjoying the game is more important than the result of the game)?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Erm, I'm not enough of an expert about the terminology here. I think also that there is some variation in use. I do know that the term non-competitive sport(s) is used used.

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you very much, natkretep. I've read your posts several times but still have to ask this. Do you mean (or think) that jogging and walking are physical activities but aren't neither competitive or non-competitive sports? Or do you mean (or think) they are actually non-competitive sports?