1. yuechu Senior Member

    Canada, English
    Bonjour !

    I was wondering how to say "spray pesticide" in French. Would it be "vaporiser" or "pulvériser" du pesticide? (Is there much difference between these two verbs?)
    Merci d'avance !
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 2:31 PM
  2. Garoubet Senior Member

    French - France, Quebec
    We say pulvériser; that means to transform into very fine droplets.
    Vaporiser is used for vapors as for inhaling for instance.
  3. Cléa715 Member

    French - France
    Pulvériser !
  4. yuechu Senior Member

    Canada, English
    Merci pour votre aide, Garoubet et Cléa715 ! :)
  5. jetset

    jetset Senior Member

    Actually both are correct. we use un pulvérisateur insecticide or vaporisateur insecticide.
    To add to Garoubet's explanation, the pesticide can either be water or powder ("Un pulvérisateur est un engin agricole (ou horticole) destiné à pulvériser des produits sur les cultures sous forme de poudre ou de liquide."). Pulvériser (ici) : répandre de manière uniforme un solide pulvérulent ou un liquide en le projetant sous pression sous forme de fines particules. Synon. vaporiser.
  6. yuechu Senior Member

    Canada, English
    Merci, jetset !
  7. yuechu Senior Member

    Canada, English
    Someone also sent me the following message. I think it can help others who are also looking to translate this phrase.

    "Actually a very neutral verb used by professionals is "épandre" with the corresponding noun "épandage". You can google "épandage des pesticides" and you will find a high number of occurrences."
    Thanks for everyone's help! :)

Share This Page