Spread love ________ the world

stevepham

vietnam
Hello everyone, I having problems with this grammar structure
I want to say I want to share love with everyone in the world.

Spread love ______ the world.
but I do not know which preposition should be applied in the case.

Should I use spread love throughout the world. - spread love to the world ?

• owlman5

English-US
    That isn't an ordinary thing to say, flamboyant lad. You can use that version if you are trying to sound poetic. Your version requires the listener to picture the world as something like an apple that people can cover in caramel. :)

Last edited:

flamboyant lad

Hindi
    My dictionary tells me I can use these preposition (throughout,over,round,around,all over,all around,across)interchangeably in the following sentence & they mean "in the whole extent of; everywhere"
    Climate change will be a problem over the world.

owlman5

English-US
    Speakers might use different prepositions to express different views of "the world".

I'm not sure, but sound shift probably views the world as an orb. "Around" makes sense if you are thinking of "the world" as something like "the planet."

Other interpretations of "the world" are possible. If you think of the world as "all the people in the world", then it makes sense to use "in the world" or "throughout the world".

"Over the world" is the most unlikely and poetic. To spread love "over the world", "love" needs to be something like paint. "The world" needs to be some kind of object that you can spread this liquid "love" over.

stevepham

vietnam
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your answer all :)
    @Flamboy: WOuld you mind sharing the dictionary used by you with me please !! I really need it for explanation in case of problems of other words :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    My dictionary tells me I can use these preposition (throughout,over,round,around,all over,all around,across)interchangeably in the following sentence & they mean "in the whole extent of; everywhere"
    Climate change will be a problem over the world.

I think you'll find that the correct expression is "all over the world".
    Climate change will be a problem all over the world.
    http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/ALLOVER

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    You could also spread love to the world. Which preposition you use with that phrase is entirely a matter to style/choice, not grammar.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    That's very odd f.l. I'm sorry for implying you might have failed to copy your sentence carefully. My link, which looks to be to the same site, has "all over the world". What can I say? Some websites are just not reliable, though even at reliable sites mistakes or typos can occur.