square dipping

Sebasthos

Spanish - Argentina
Hello!

I'm translating a document from an ice cream store, and there's a term I just can't figure out:

Now that you know how to square dip our famous ice cream, it’s time to start learning how to make and serve our many great ice cream products.

Square dipping helps provide a more appealing product before the ice cream is dipped and after it is served on a cone.

It's probably simplier than I think, but I don't know what "square dip" (verb) refers to. From the second sentence, I first imagined that it refers to the fact of putting the ice cream inside "square" containers on a "dipping cabinet", that is, those commercial refrigerators where ice cream is displayed before serving, but I'm not sure at ll, so I'll apreciate your help.

Thanks!

• Chasint

English - England
    Three minutes on the internet reveals an instruction video on how to square dip. It simply involves running the scoop in an L-shaped pattern along two sides of the square container. Stopping by Braum's to learn how to square dip
    1652559847052.png

Last edited:

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    It's probably simplier than I think, but I don't know what "square dip" (verb) refers to.
    In normal English, it does not refer to anything. This text previously describes it.
    This sentence says that the text previously defines it:
    Now that you know how to square dip our famous ice cream...
    So simply look for the description earlier in the text.

Sebasthos

Spanish - Argentina
    In normal English, it does not refer to anything. This text previously describes it.
    This sentence says that the text previously defines it:

So simply look for the description earlier in the text.

Thanks for your answer, Dojibear, I don't have the text where the process is explained.

Chasint

English - England
    Now come on, Chasint--are you saying you knew or had ever heard the term? :)
    I had never heard it - nor did I claim to have heard it. I simply Googled "how to square dip ice-cream" (That was my 3 minutes on the internet*)

Try it for yourself! how to square dip ice-cream - Google Search The very first result (when I did this on Saturday 14 May) was <a video>. [Link removed. Cagey, moderator]

* If you really want to know (!)
    Go to Google, type in "how to square dip ice-cream" - 15 seconds
    See video still and click on link - 10 seconds
    Watch entire video to learn the process - 54 seconds
    Copy link and paste it into answer space on WR - 15 seconds
    Use Snipping tool to copy the still picture and paste it - 60 seconds
    Write a couple of sentences - approximately 1 minute (?)
    Total time about 3.5 minutes - so I was a little off when I said 3 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
    I had never heard it - nor did I claim to have heard it. I simply Googled "how to square dip ice-cream" (That was my 3 minutes on the internet*)

Try it for yourself! how to square dip ice-cream - Google Search The very first result (when I did this on Saturday 14 May) was the video I linked to - < ---- >

* If you really want to know (!)
    Go to Google, type in "how to square dip ice-cream" - 15 seconds
    See video still and click on link - 10 seconds
    Watch entire video to learn the process - 54 seconds
    Copy link and paste it into answer space on WR - 15 seconds
    Use Snipping tool to copy the still picture and paste it - 60 seconds
    Write a couple of sentences - approximately 1 minute (?)
    Total time about 3.5 minutes - so I was a little off when I said 3 minutes.

I tried Google, but failed. There are many applications of 'square' applied to food; also of 'dip.' You're more adept than I, clearly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    Although I didn't use quotes in my search in #8 - The trick is to know exactly which search terms are important.
    Well, you are a better searcher than I, because I put in square dip ice cream without quotes and got nothing relevant in the first two pages.

Chasint

English - England
    Well, you are a better searcher than I, because I put in square dip ice cream without quotes and got nothing relevant in the first two pages.
    The difference was the addition of "how to"! Thanks for the compliment :):thumbsup: Over the years I have improved my searching skills. Through long practice, I now have a knack for finding the right combination.