Squared With

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
I heard someone say:
Is it squared with Captain Smith?
Considering the situation it was said, it could mean, "Have you gotten permission from Captain Smith?" Do you think I'm right about it?

Hiro

• timpeac

English (England)
    I heard someone say:
    Is it squared with Captain Smith?
    Considering the situation it was said, it could mean, "Have you gotten permission from Captain Smith?" Do you think I'm right about it?

Hiro
    Yes, I think so. To square something with someone means "to check that someone has no problems with you doing something", so it's not exactly "to get permission" (although it could be) but more "to make sure that they have no issues with you doing something".

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Yes, I think so. To square something with someone means "to check that someone has no problems with you doing something", so it's not exactly "to get permission" (although it could be) but more "to make sure that they have no issues with you doing something".

In the following context, does "squared with" mean "consistent with" or "compatible with"?

Thanks in advance

Many scientists and philosophers realized long ago that free will could not be squared with our growing understanding of the physical world.98 Nevertheless, many still deny this fact.

-Sam Harris (The Moral Landscape Page 71)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes and no. It means no satisfactory explanation has been (can be) given that would explain how the two are or could be compatible. It's not directly about the compatibility, but about the logical explanation that would make it make sense.

On a side note his use of "fact" is pretty loosey-goosey.

Many scientists and philosophers realized long ago that free will could not be squared with our growing understanding of the physical world. Nevertheless, many still deny this fact.

The standards for facts in, for instance, physics are a lot stricter. A couple of scientists "realizing" something doesn't establish a "fact", especially a fact that can't be denied. I don't know the specific arguments but I am sure they are a lot more complex than that claim allows for.

< Previous | Next >