"Squat a bit please." (taking a photo, so that I can see the man's face behind the listener )

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
I was taking a photo for a group of friends/colleagues. They are standing in two lines. A man's face could not be seen fully. So I asked the guy in front of him to be down a bit and I said "Squat a bit please."

I am wondering if the part in bold is natural. Does it sound rude if I speak to people I am not quite familiar with. Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    If there are only in two lines, you should either ask the obstructing person to move left or right – Could you move a little left/right, please? – or you should have that person and the person behind swap positions – Could you change places, please?

I wouldn't use "Squat" in any form – not only is it fairly impolite, but your final photo will show that person in an awkward posture if he follows your order.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    You could possibly ask "Could you crouch down a bit, please", but I agree with Copyright: I certainly wouldn't use "squat".

Copyright

American English
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. :)

To keep this post relevant, I think any posture that is held by one person alone is going to make that person stand out – the opposite of what you want.

< Previous | Next >