Squeaky shoes or Squishy shoes?

< Previous | Next >

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Hello!
I've got this question, when your shoes (rubber sole) are wet and you walk they produce a squeaky or a squishy sound?
What I want to know is how to call the sound that a rubber sole shoe makes when you walk on a wet surface (like Astroboy ??)

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    I wish you could hear my shoes now, Nilda!

Squishy describes the sound of the water combined with the squeak.
    Squeaky describes simply the shrill sound; water is not necessary.

I have no other idea on how to answer you simply with words!

Ok . . . .
    If the water is INSIDE of the shoe, it's squishy.
    If the water is on the FLOOR, it's squeaky.

:eek:

Benjy

English - English
    Artrella said:
    Hello!
    I've got this question, when your shoes (rubber sole) are wet and you walk they produce a squeaky or a squishy sound?
    What I want to know is how to call the sound that a rubber sole shoe makes when you walk on a wet surface (like Astroboy ??)
    i would say they squeak. BUT if they are slopping water about you might consider the word squelch. which has a great onomatopoeic (sp?) quality to it :D

GenJen54

USA - English
    Originally posted by Benjy
    BUT if they are slopping water about you might consider the word squelch. which has a great onomatopoeic (sp?) quality to it
    This is a true linguistic curiosity. "Squelch," by definition, has some interesting, if not contrary, meanings (Merriam-Webster online ed.):

1) to completely suppress or make quiet (as in sound);
    2) to emit or move with a sucking sound;
    3) to splash through water, slush or mire.

To that end, given the word's onomatopoeic qualities, in describing a "squelch sound," would you then not be creating an onomatopoeic oxymoron?;)

I, for one, cast my vote for "squish."

Squeak describes something that is dry, like a hinge that needs oil.

Benjy

English - English
    hum. i see what you mean. when i said squeak it was because wet rubber squeaks on wooden floors.. squelch would more be the sucking noise you get with the sock/shoe combination. squishy is fine too. i guess i just liek the word squelch :D

dominoz

RU
    I love "squelch" :D.
    If you were walking through something more muddy than liquidy you could perhaps also use squidge/squidgy.

GenJen54

USA - English
    Originally posted by Benjy
    i guess i just liek the word squelch
    Don't get me wrong, I do, too! But, when I saw the word, the FIRST thing that came to mind was the meaning "to suppress," as in sound.

What about "splosh" as a descriptor? It's a bit, wet and mushy-sounding and has the meaning "to make a splashing sound." It has the same onomotapoeic qualities as "squelch."

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    GenJen54 said:
    Don't get me wrong, I do, too! But, when I saw the word, the FIRST thing that came to mind was the meaning "to suppress," as in sound.

What about "splosh" as a descriptor? It's a bit, wet and mushy-sounding and has the meaning "to make a splashing sound." It has the same onomotapoeic qualities as "squelch."
    Gen, but you know? I think that "splashing" conveys the idea of a lot of water more than a wet surface...
    I didn't know about "squelch"...thank you Benjy and all of you!

mylam

United States English
    I agree with Venus... if the floor is wet, your shoes will squeak. If you just walked through a stream, so your shoes are full of water, your shoes will squish.

If you are walking in mud, you can squish/squelch/squidge/splosh/etc, depending on how thick or runny the mud is.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    If you are walking around on a soaked carpet with your shoes on, do your shoes squish/squelch/squidge/splosh/etc?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Oh redgiant, I really am tempted to throw some water on the carpet just to find out what sound my shoes make. I imagine I might be sloshing or splashing over the wet carpet with my shoes on.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you, velisarius.
    If you really want to find out what sound your shoes make, you can try it first on your neighbor's door mat. :)

< Previous | Next >