Squeeze the time out

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Once I was very busy, but at that time one of my friend told me she broke up with his boy friend, she asked me to go out to have a chat with her, then I said:

"I am sorry, Judy, I am very busy, but I will try to squeeze the time out to talk to you, is that okay?"

I wonder here "squeeze the time out" makes sense?

Thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    I'd use "squeeze in" instead of "squeeze out": ..., but I'll try to squeeze in the time to talk to you. Is that OK?

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi Jeff,

I want to say though I don't have enough time to talk to her, but I will try my best to figure out some time to talk to her, did you understand me in this way?

owlman5

English-US
    Hi Jeff,

I want to say though I don't have enough time to talk to her, but I will try my best to figure out some time to talk to her, did you understand me in this way?
    I sure did. I've always heard "squeeze in some time for something". "Squeeze out" doesn't sound idiomatic with this meaning.

suzi br

English / England
    It is not a familiar use of squeeze, but I like it and would understand you. The idea that you are under pressure is covered by using squeeze this way ..

suzi br

English / England
    You are working very hard today, Silverobama, I often wonder what you are actually writing, or if you are just randomly puzzling over things. I'm sure your hard work will pay off for you.

suzi br

English / England
    I think "pay off" is idiomatic, not literally meaning to be paid, but to get the benefit of something. In this case your ability to communicate better in English will be your "pay off".

< Previous | Next >