Squeeze themselves up

Mina_

Turkish
Hi

"Everyone squeezed themselves up in the tiny car so there would be room for one more. Let's squeeze up so Jamie can sit down. They squeezed themselves up so they would take less space."
(Source: thefreedictionary)

I see this "squeeze themselves up" phrase be used in the same way (often be used with the pronoun "themselves") in many dictionaries. I wonder if I make a sentence like that:

"We squeezed ourselves up on the sofa."

Would it be wrong?

• reno33

English - USA
    "Everyone squeezed themselves up in the tiny car ....." :cross:
    -
    I doubt this is correct English. I've never heard or seen a verb "squeeze oneself up in". Almost surely this is a made up term with no basis in reality. I would say your sentence as:

"Everyone squeezed themselves into the tiny car...":tick:

Mina_

Turkish
    So the sentence that I indicated as "We squeezed ourselves up on the sofa" doesn't make any sense, right? What about if I write that way: "We squeezed ourselves in sofa"? In fact, this sounds a bit weird to me but I would like to know if there's a way to express this idea?

reno33

English - USA

Sorry....this is a "nonsense" sentence. It doesn't mean anything in BE or AE. It's how a 2 year old might speak. If you disagree, please explain how exactly you would "squeeze" yourself up on a sofa. That's like "squeezing yourself up on a candlestick." Alice in Wonderland, maybe. In real life......no way.

Mina_

Turkish

Sorry....this is a "nonsense" sentence. It doesn't mean anything in BE or AE. It's how 2 year olds might speak. If you disagree, please explain how exactly you would "squeeze" yourself up on a sofa. That's like "squeezing yourself up on a candlestick." Alice in Wonderland, maybe. In real life......no way.
    All right, I just wanted to know if it makes any sense. Thanks for your interpretation:)

Mina_

Turkish
    Actually, I wrote this sentence based on a phrase in my language.

Meaning intended: Imagine that there is a sofa in your room and it is pretty tiny. You want to sit with your friends but there's no enough place for all of you. That's why you all have to sit so close to each other.

I hope that I conveyed well what I mean. I want to learn if there's a phrase can be used in the situations like that.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    We all squeezed onto the sofa because there weren't enough chairs to go round. We were (sititng) squeezed up on a sofa.
    Six of us squeezed into the tiny car. We were (sitting) squeezed up in a tiny car.

I don't like the Free Dictionary example with the reflexive pronoun much.

reno33

English - USA
    Well, if you continue to change the explanation of your original sentence, then we're just playing games here.

Yes, you can "squeeze yourself into (or "onto") a sofa" that is jammed packed with your friends. But you can't "squeeze yourself up on the sofa"

Bottom Line: squeeze yourself into/onto a sofa :tick: squeeze yourself up on the sofa :cross: (baby talk)

Mina_

Turkish
    Well, if you continue to change the explanation of your original sentence, then we're just playing games here.

I am not a native speaker and just trying to express myself well, that's why to explain what I mean takes a little time. Thanks for your patience.

Mina_

Turkish

Yes, you can "squeeze yourself into (or "onto") a sofa" that is jammed packed with your friends. But you can't "squeeze yourself up on the sofa"

Bottom Line: squeeze yourself into/onto a sofa :tick: squeeze yourself up on the sofa :cross: (baby talk)
    I am not a native speaker and just trying to express myself well, that's why to explain what I mean takes a little time. Thanks for your patience.

reno33

English - USA
    Well, I do apologize if I seemed a little impatient. No impatience intended. Thank you.

< Previous | Next >