Portuguese to English SSP

Dictionary entry: SSP

charles geiss

English - USA
I am translating to English two death certificates issued in Brazil. There are several governmental acronyms that stump me. Near the top below the deceased’s name is written CPF followed by an 11 digit number. This number is enclosed in a rectangle. Below said rectangle is the word MATRÍCULA. I know that this word means FEE, however it doesn’t connect with another very long following number. Thank you for your help.

• swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hello, @charles geiss.

Would you help clarify your inquiry? Are you trying to translate those death certificates from Portuguese to English? Is SSP one of the acronyms?

If you are looking for help with a translation, this may not be the right place for your thread, but we can help move it to the appropriate forum. :)

Thank you!

casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    I'm sure I can add a couple of entries to the dictionary on the basis of your interesting query.

First, CPF or Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas is a tax number, that is to say, an ID number given to people registered as living in Brazil, regardless of their nationality.

The SSP is the Secretaria de Segurança Pública. From wikipedia: "The Secretariat for Public Security supervises all state police activities." Maybe like (a branch of) the Ministère de l' Intérieur in France or the Home Secretary in the UK, or whatever. You can find more information yourself if you like.

Lastly, matrícula is a word with a complex field of meanings: registration, licencing, documentation, etc, depending on context. Where this word means 'fee' it is only by ellipsis, in the sense that one often has to pay a registration fee when one registers something (such as a death). In the present context, if you have a long number, it may be the registration number of the death certificate.