St.Thomas

Sasha G

Russian
Hello,forum
I am translating a quite challenging english article 'The origins of the american mind'.Though I grasp most of it I still have blind spots .
An author's name is Lewis Mumford.it was written in the early of the 20 century I guess.it tells about how the americam culture was created,that many of its components stem grom medieval Europe and in that sentence it describes medieval protestants who were still very restrain to changes that were happening in Europe,changes that led to discovery of America
'The Protestants read the literature of the Ancient Jews,but,using their private judgment and taking the bare words as the sum and substance of their relgion,they forgot the interpetations from the early Fathers to St. Thomas which refined that literature and melted it into a comprehesible whole'

My doubt is-about which St.Thomas does the author talk in that text? This one who at first didnt believe in the resurrection of Jesus?the same doubt about Early Fathers in that context?
And also Ho w do you understand the main idea of the extract?

• Myridon

English - US
    The Apostle Thomas (Doubting Thomas) lived before "the early Fathers" of the Christian church (the people who organized the religion in the first few centuries after the time of Jesus). The author almost certainly is referring to Thomas Aquinas who lived in the 1200s.

Sasha G

Russian
    you can be right but look th author also mentions Thomas Aquinas in the article naming him exactly as you say 'Thomas Aquinas'. So what's the point of naming him in another way?

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Hi, Sasha. I think they are referring to St. Thomas Aquinas, a 13th century Dominican priest and theologian, who really was considered the father of the Catholic Church and his ideas were very important for the development of the Catholic Church. There were also the First Fathers, the theologians and priests of the early Church, who interpreted the Gospel for the first 800 years of the Church, St. Augustine being one of them. I am sorry, I cross-posted with Myridion. I was checking something and it too some time. It is definitely Thomas Aquinas -- he is often referred to in philosophy and theology as Saint Thomas. The other one is Apostle Thomas, or Thomas the Apostle, although he was also a Saint, I think.

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Since he says "from the early fathers to St. Thomas," and describes something that happened over that long period of time, it must refer to a St. Thomas who lived long after the early fathers of the church. I agree with Myridon and LilianaB: Thomas Aquinas is the only logical candidate.

you can be right but look th author also mentions Thomas Aquinas in the article naming him exactly as you say 'Thomas Aquinas'. So what's the point of naming him in another way?
    Style, variation, not to keep referring to him the same way. Surely, as a Russian, you remember how people in Russian novels are often referred to in different ways: by their given names, their patronymics, and so on? I found that quite confusing when I first began to read Russian literature, even in translation! :)

< Previous | Next >