"...staffers caught up on sleep,..."

Nov. 20, 2006 issue - Like any newly elected congressman, Indiana's Brad Ellsworth has a lot to learn. Before he had even digested his victory over Republican incumbent John Hostettler last week, Ellsworth was poring over forms and factoids, shipped straight to Indiana from some new friends on Capitol Hill. "They're asking me what kind of BlackBerry I want," said a mildly exasperated Ellsworth. "I don't know what kind of BlackBerry I want. I've always just used a cell phone." As his campaign staffers caught up on sleep, Ellsworth worried over pension plans, travel arrangements and finding a home in the nation's capital. "Did you know that some [congressmen] live with seven or eight other guys?" he asked. "People back home would be amazed."

Hello,
Could you please rephrase the text in bold? I can't grasp the meaning of it. :(
Thank you in advance,
majlo

• Nov. 20, 2006 issue - Like any newly elected congressman, Indiana's Brad Ellsworth has a lot to learn. Before he had even digested his victory over Republican incumbent John Hostettler last week, Ellsworth was poring over forms and factoids, shipped straight to Indiana from some new friends on Capitol Hill. "They're asking me what kind of BlackBerry I want," said a mildly exasperated Ellsworth. "I don't know what kind of BlackBerry I want. I've always just used a cell phone." As his campaign staffers caught up on sleep, Ellsworth worried over pension plans, travel arrangements and finding a home in the nation's capital. "Did you know that some [congressmen] live with seven or eight other guys?" he asked. "People back home would be amazed."

Hello,
    Could you please rephrase the text in bold? I can't grasp the meaning of it. :(
    Thank you in advance,
    majlo

Hello Majlo,

I believe it means that Ellsworth's electoral campaign team (staffers) were tired out after the campaign and they were catching up on their lost sleep (i.e. they were in bed, sleeping).

LRV

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes. When you "catch up on" something you make up for having gotten behind.

If you are sleep-deprived, you need to catch up on sleep. You catch up on sleep by sleeping. :)

So in this context the campaign staffers were asleep.

< Previous | Next >