stale/obsolete/dated/outdated news

monster123

Hi everyone,
Suppose, you encounter a news article that is published some weeks ago, and you want to describe that fact.
Could you, please, tell me what adjective is more appropriate for this from the following list:

1. The news article is stale.
I've come across this one, but am not sure that is correct. I see that bread can be stale, but news?
2. The news article is obsolete.
I think this is unlike correct.
3. The news is outdated.
4. The news is dated.

I believe this is what I am looking for. But which one? The dictionary says that outdated and dated mean the same, " not modern enough".
Yet, I consider the difference still exists.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    4. The news is dated.
    I believe this is what I am looking for. But which one? The dictionary says that outdated and dated mean the same, " not modern enough".
    Yet, I consider the difference still exists.
    (I have changed it for demonstration purposes - it does not alter the sentence)
    3. That news is outdated. -> That news has been superseded by new events

4. That news is dated. -> That news is old - (with the implication that most people will have heard it.)

1. The news article is stale.
    I've come across this one, but am not sure that is correct. I see that bread can be stale, but news?
    Do you understand the figurative use of language? :)

london calling

UK English
    News can be stale, but I wouldn't say that an article is stale. Information contained in an article could well be obsolete, but I wouldn't use it to describe news or the article itself. I prefer 'isn't up to date' to 'outdated' and 'dated' to me means that it's what we call 'old hat' (common knowledge).

monster123

Thanks.
    And yes, I understand what "figurative use of language" is.
    However, since my mother language is Russian, many figurative phrases made myself up might not to be understandable for English natives.
    That's why I sometimes ask things that seem elementary.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >