Stance VS. posture

needer

persian
What is the difference between stance and posture when they mean the attitude or opinion in a particular situation?

which one is correct here?

Many journals are taking a tougher _______ on publishing the trial results.

Last edited:
  • needer

persian
    'Posture' doesn't work in this context. You could use 'position' if you need an alternative to 'stance'.
    why not?
    posture also means: an attitude, or the way that someone behaves towards other people
    what is the difference?

Myridon

English - US
    Both "take" and "tough" are commonly used with "stance" and "position." They are not used with "posture".
    It's a matter of what is used and what isn't. There's no reason.
    (A person might wonder why you asked which one is right and then argue that they both must be right.)

needer

persian
    Both "take" and "tough" are commonly used with "stance" and "position." They are not used with "posture".
    It's a matter of what is used and what isn't. There's no reason.
    (A person might wonder why you asked which one is right and then argue that they both must be right.)
    But I looked up in oxford collocation dictionary and there, it is collocated with take!!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Even stipulating the collocation with "take," which sounds odd to me as well, using "posture" in your original sentence would change the meaning.

If I take a stance on something, I am taking a position and holding to it.

If I "take" a posture on something, I am defending a view I don't really hold.

needer

persian
    Even stipulating the collocation with "take," which sounds odd to me as well, using "posture" in your original sentence would change the meaning.

If I take a stance on something, I am taking a position and holding to it.

If I "take" a posture on something, I am defending a view I don't really hold.
    confusing!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Have you reviewed the definitions of "posture" in the WR dictionary, needer? #6 is "a false or affected attitude; pose."

This meaning makes the use of the word ambiguous at best in a sentence such as the one you are proposing. "Stance" or "position" would work much better.

[Cross-posted with Myridon]

needer

persian
    Have you reviewed the definitions of "posture" in the WR dictionary, needer? #6 is "a false or affected attitude; pose."

This meaning makes the use of the word ambiguous at best in a sentence such as the one you are proposing. "Stance" or "position" would work much better.

[Cross-posted with Myridon]

But, 4. 'a mental attitude or frame of mind', matches better here .
    I know your answer is correct, but I'm looking for a firmer explanation.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Yes, "posture" has some definitions that would be workable in that context. Nonetheless, when we say someone is "posturing," we mean they are taking a position they don't really believe in. That connotation carries over into the noun form unless your context is very specific, as in "Stand up straight! Your posture is terrible."

Three different native speakers have let you know that "posture" doesn't work in your sentence. It's your choice whether to take the advice or not.

needer

persian
    Yes, "posture" has some definitions that would be workable in that context. Nonetheless, when we say someone is "posturing," we mean they are taking a position they don't really believe in. That connotation carries over into the noun form unless your context is very specific, as in "Stand up straight! Your posture is terrible."

Three different native speakers have let you know that "posture" doesn't work in your sentence. It's your choice whether to take the advice or not.
    Thank you for clarification. :)

< Previous | Next >