stand in the face of the facts

Michelle Green

Chinese
Hi all,
Does "imaginings" and "stand in the face of the facts" matches in the following sentence? It is written by my friend.
Our imaginings can never stand in the face of the facts
The intended meaning is: Our imaginings and facts never matches.
Thank you.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I'm not sure the intended meaning makes sense, except as an exaggeration.
    Our imaginings (i.e. what we imagine the facts might be) can, and often do, match what the facts really are.
    What "can never stand in the face of" means here is that, if and when our imagined facts come face to face with real facts, the latter will prevail, whether or not they match,

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Unfortunately, "Our imaginings can never stand in the face of the facts." (i) is not idiomatic, and (ii) it would not mean "Our imaginings and facts never matches" (iii) is ambiguous.

to stand + adverb/adverbial phrase -> "He stood against the enemy - He opposed the enemy." "He stood for justice - he represented/supported justice."
    To stand + <noun phrase> -> "The roof stood the storm - the roof withstood the storm"; "His theories stood the test of time" -> "His theories withstood the test of time."

To stand in the face of [something] = to withstand something. "Our imaginings can never stand in the face of the facts" = "The things we imagine cannot withstand the facts."

< Previous | Next >