Stand of trees

Discussion in 'English Only' started by oskhen, Nov 8, 2014.

1. oskhen

oskhen Senior Member

Greetings!

In a book (American), a person says: "No, I was born in a stand of trees beside a cotton field."

Does "stand" simply mean a grove, or a cluster of trees?

Dictionary.com does say that "stand" could mean " a growth of plants in a particular area, esp trees in a forest or a crop in a field", but that hardly seems to be the case here?

Thank you

2. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    You understand the meaning correctly in the context here.

3. oskhen

oskhen Senior Member

So, a grove?

4. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This 1912 definition from the OED describes "stand" very well, and suitably vaguely :)
    1912 R. C. Hawley & A. F. Hawes Man. Forestry Northeast. U.S. i. 8 The term ‘stand’ is the unit of description applied to any definite portion of a forest having a definite distinguishing characteristic. Thus in a certain type we may have a stand of young growth; a stand of diseased and damaged trees; a stand of exceptionally tall specimens, etc. These stands may be extensive, covering many acres or they may be confined each to a small part of an acre.

It's a very imprecise term. In this context, I take it to mean the the person was born within a group of trees adjacent to a cotton field, but whether that was six trees or six hundred trees I can't say. Thinking of trees within a cotton plantation, I rather suspect it was a small number of trees.

5. oskhen

oskhen Senior Member

Nice, thanks!