standing here and there

waiyin

Chinese
Hello,

I am translating a text and would like to confirm if "standing here and there" is an expression meaning "present everywhere" in the below context.

<the dancers project, turn upside-down and shake all popular urban myths with humour, irony and grace. In a precise-to-the-millimeter choreography, standing out here and there like Chinese shadow puppets or robots, they use their bodies to relate short stories about love, beauty, glory, war or revolution… >

Your help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

WY

• waiyin

Chinese
    Thank you Doofy. What about <standing out> then?

Does it have the meaning of "outstanding" here ?

Thanks a lot!

waiyin

Chinese
    Actually I'm not sure if <standing out here and there> describes the dancers or the <Chinese shadow puppets or robots> here meaning the images keep changing all the time...

Can somebody lighten me up?

Thank you.

Doofy

English - US
    Actually I'm not sure if <standing out here and there> describes the dancers or the <Chinese shadow puppets or robots> here meaning the images keep changing all the time...
    I think you have it right. The dancers stand out like shadow puppets...perhaps they were clearly visible against a bright background. Yes, changing...sometimes here, sometimes there.

I'm not sure about the robots. Perhaps their movements were stiff or tightly controlled, like a robot's.

< Previous | Next >