standing populations

< Previous | Next >

yaslala

Français - France
Hi everyone,

This is a biology-specific sentence/context but I don't think the translation problem is.

I'm talking about two animal species in the wild, meeting on a geographical zone were they have been crossing for a long time. This results on a geographical pattern with from one side to the other : species A - hybrids - species B.
I'm trying to express the fact that hybrid populations have been there for a wile and are standing between the populations of the two species. Here is my attempt:

We expect that this study, addressing the barrier role of hybrid unattractiveness in a zone with standing hybrid populations, will rise consideration of this aspect of hybrid unfitness and its implication on speciation.

Does it sound like good English to you?
(Also, must be UK English)

• ron1759

U.S. - English
    It reads like scientific language. Grammatically the sentence seems OK, but it's probably difficult for someone who is not a biologist to say whether the word choices are good for your purpose. In conversational English, "...established hybrid populations..." or "...an established hybrid population..." (or "...an existing hybrid population...") would sound more natural to me.

I would say "...will raise consideration..." but there are differences in the use of raise/rise between American and British English.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    How many hybrid populations are there. In your introductory comments, there seems to be one (between species A and species B), but in your sentence, the word is plural (in a singular zone).

yaslala

Français - France
    Thanks for your answers, I settled on "established".
    It's scientific language indeed, not conversational. There are different hybrid populations, I simplified in the context.

< Previous | Next >