stanza della caverna

foreveramber

Italian- English Us High School
I have to translate a mountain itinerary. Is the right word for stanza della caverna" chamber of the cavern" or cavern chamber?

• Benzene

Banned
    Italian from Italy
    Ciao foreveramber!

Personalmente ricordo che si può tradurre "cavern chamber" oppure "chamber of.....cavern" quando è indicato il luogo in cui si trova la caverna; esempio: "la camera della caverna di Frasassi" = "chamber of Frasassi cavern".

Aspetta, comunque, qualche nativo!

Bye,

Benzene

foreveramber

Thanks a lot Benzene, I thought it was it, but why isn't the word listed in the Word Reference dictionary? I mean there is also chamber of justice, chamber of commons and so on....and no such expressions appear in it!

Benzene

Banned
    Italian from Italy
    Thanks a lot Benzene, I thought it was it, but why isn't the word listed in the Word Reference dictionary? I mean there is also chamber of justice, chamber of commons and so on....and no such expressions appear in it!

Ciao foreveramber!

Your subject is referred to "chamber" as a deliberative or legislative or administrative or judicial assembly.

It is a different circle - no cavern - no cave!;)

Bye,

Benzene

foreveramber

The problem is that in Italian we say Stanza di una caverna, but you cannot translate it literally in English. In English, if you refer to a cavern or cave, as you say, you must translate it with the word chamber which, in Italian means camera, (not stanza).
    So that's why if you look up the word stanza in the Word reference dictionary you don't find chamber among its meanings....I would have had to look up camera! Sorry for the confusion and thanks.

nemosnemos

Italian Italy
    The problem is that in Italian we say Stanza di una caverna, but you cannot translate it literally in English. In English, if you refer to a cavern or cave, as you say, you must translate it with the word chamber which, in Italian means camera, (not stanza).
    So that's why if you look up the word stanza in the Word reference dictionary you don't find chamber among its meanings....I would have had to look up camera! Sorry for the confusion and thanks.

You're right. That's why it's "Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets" (and that's why Italian translators made a mistake again, translating it with "camera")