Star shapes - descriptive words?

< Previous | Next >

Johnny519

Mandarin
Right here I'm talking about a graphic figure with several points, like four-pointed shape, five-pointed shape, six(seven,etc)-pointed shape, I'm wondering if we can name all of them STAR? Is there an individual name for each different pattern? When we talk about polygon, I think we have different names. Like triangle for figure of 3 points and 3 sides, square or rectangle for figure of 4 points and 4 sides, pentagon, hexagon, etc.

If we don't have a specific name for each one, then how can we differentiate them? Like 4-pointed star, 5-pointed star?

Thank you

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I'm having difficulty imagining one of these stars with fewer than five points, but starting with five, I think it goes pentagram, hexagram, ... maybe it goes on, I'm not sure.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    A "five pointed star" is drawn by connecting ten dots on the page so there are 5 points "sticking out" (and five indentations between them). (Try Google for images of "star"). Without such points sticking out, it would not be called a "star". Since such a shape would have ten sides it could be called a decagon (but not a "regular decagon"). I don't know of a general name for such a polygon that resembles a star - beyond Beryl's suggestion for the pentagram.*

A pentagon is drawn by connecting only 5 dots.

*Edit: The WRF dictionary defines a hexagram as a 6 pointed star, but my first thought was the figures in the I ching (ichingfortune.com) system made up of 6 parallel lines each of which may or may not have central segment missing

Last edited:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    >> I don't know of a general name for such a polygon that resembles a star.

Checking Wikipedia, I managed to get as high as an octogram (an eight-pointed star), but then I got a bit giddy. (Cross-posted goodness me, I'll have to have a little lie down)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    >> I don't know of a general name for such a polygon that resembles a star.

Checking Wikipedia, I managed to get as high as an octogram (an eight-pointed star), but then I got a bit giddy. (Cross-posted goodness me, I'll have to have a little lie down)
    Too much geometry too early in the day will have that effect - and we only just scratched the surface of that world!)

< Previous | Next >