star

DonManuel_CH

German / Switzerland
Hello my friends from all around the world!
How do you call the stars (in the sky) in your language?

I begin with:

English: star
Deutsch: Stern (m)
Swiss German: Stärn (m)

• parakseno

Romanian, Romania
    Romanian:
    stea (feminine)

There also is "astru"(neuter, with the plural "astre", or masculine, with the plural "aştri") but it has a more general meaning (that is any celestial body that can be observed by the light it emits or reflects).

Spectre scolaire

Maltese and Russian
    Classical Greek: αστήρ. I can’t make the spiritus lenis on the alpha.

There is also – cf. Billopoulos αστέρι – a Modern Greek word άστρο (from Class. Gr. άστρον, equally with a spiritus lenis).

Latin (and Italian): stella

In connection with Turkish yıldız (as mentionned by badgrammar, the following could be added:

Tatar (a Turkic language): чулпан. I don’t know any Tatar, but there is a famous Russian actress of Tatar origin, born in Kazan and whose first name is Chulpan, “morning star”.
    elroy said:
    Arabic:
    نجمة (najma)
    Necmî is a man’s name in Turkish. Turks of today don’t know the Ottoman word necm, “star”.
    Alijsh said:
    Persian: setâre
    Ottoman Turkish: sitare, “star”. Today, this word only means “fortune”, “a kind of lute” and “a type of backgammon play”. It doesn't seem likely that the last two meanings have anything to do with the Persian word for "star", but I wouldn’t be surprised if they have.

There is much more under the stars...:)

Chazzwozzer

Turkish
    Ottoman Turkish: sitare, “star”. Today, this word only means “fortune”, “a kind of lute” and “a type of backgammon play”. It doesn't seem likely that the last two meanings have anything to do with the Persian word for "star", but I wouldn’t be surprised if they have.
    Only context I might expect to see sitare is in a poem or a song where it may normally mean star, as a Persian loan-word.

Sorry but; unless used somehow metaphorically, sitare does not mean anything else you've mentioned. Just to make it sure, I've just done some dictionary and Google searches but nothing seems to appear.

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    It can mean fortune in Persian poetry. The word for the lute-like instrument is setâr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setar_%28lute%29) and not setâre.

[Added later]
    We have also these words for star: akhtar (cognate with astr- and used in building new words), târâ

Spectre scolaire

Maltese and Russian
    Chazzwozzer said:
    Sorry but; unless used somehow metaphorically, sitare does not mean anything else you've mentioned. Just to make it sure, I've just done some dictionary and Google searches but nothing seems to appear.
    Did you look it up in Redhouse, Devellioğlu or Derleme Sözlüğü? –the last one is a dictionary of dialect words in more than 20 volumes! I don’t have my library with me where I am now, but I have gained access to Redhouse which even registers the meaning “open tent or pavillion”. Not likely that the British author invented it in the 1880s!

!! There is a misunderstanding (which I created myself). Instead of italics, the word only should have been put in inverted comma to indicate an irony – i.e. one word with so many different meanings! I am sorry for that!

If you google sitareli and sitaresiz, you’ll get some results. From “star” to “fortune” would be a fairly normal semantic development. With the indicated suffixes in bold we would get “fortunate” and “unlucky” – born under a lucky/unlucky star, so to say.
    Alijsh said:
    It can mean fortune in Persian poetry. The word for the lute-like instrument is setâr [...] and not setâre.
    There is reason to believe that the words for the instrument and the original one meaning “star” have blended in Turkish. Persian [e] regularly becomes Turkish [i], and [a] becomes [e] (as below).
    Setwale_Charm said:
    Tajik: sitora
    Thanks for that one! The reason why it is written with o in Tajiki is that the Iranian a in setâre is long and pronounced – at least in Tajiki - as [o], cf. Swedish /a/ which is also extrememly open. Cyrillic letters are better indicators of the real pronunciation than Arabic letters.
    Alijsh said:
    We have also these words for star: akhtar [and] târâ.
    Indeed! But Ottoman Turkish ahter (sic because the second original a is short!) does not function as a word in Modern Turkish.

Also this word has two meanings in Ottoman Turkish: “star” and “fortune”. This is probably not unusual in other languages as well!:)

Persian târâ does not seem to have any corresponding word in [Ottoman] Turkish.

To finish, I’d like to add the Maltese word for “star”: stilla – which is of course a loanword from Italian (or rather from Siculo-Italian).

Nizo

Romanian:
    stea (feminine)

There also is "astru"(neuter) but it has a more general meaning (that is any celestial body that can be observed by the light it emits or reflects).
    Likewise in Esperanto, stelo is the primary word for star, while astro is used for any natural heavenly body, such as a star, a comet or a planet.

Lugubert

If you'll excuse some examples not from my language:
    Sanskrit तांरा तारका तारिका नक्षत्रं tAMrA, tArakA, tArikA, nakshatraM ...
    Arabic نجم najm
    Bible Hebrew כּוֹכָב koxav
    Ugaritic kbkb

Kurdistanish

Kurdish/Azerbaijani Turkish/Persian
    Kurdish
    Kurmancî : stêr
    Soranî : estêre
    Hewramî, Kirmanckî : estare

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilaki : rijikâ

Talyshi : âstâra

Beside “najm” also there exists “kawkab” ( > plural. kawakib) in Arabic.

Persian : setâre, axtar (archaic)

Maltese kawkba is probably an Arabic loanword.

< Previous | Next >