Stare al gioco

Pirlo

English
Ciao a tutti,
I recently joined an Italian Forum (Videogiochi), and I made a post to introduce myself, anyway, a person replied - "Stiamo al gioco."

I'm really confused, I've never made an effort to learn about stare so, I'm not quite sure what the intention of the phrase is, does it mean perhaps: "Keep in the game"?

Grazie e Buon Natale,
Pirlo

• SPQR

US
    American English
    Ciao a tutti,
    I recently joined an Italian Forum (Videogiochi), and I made a post to introduce myself, anyway, a person replied - "Stiamo al gioco."

I'm really confused, I've never made an effort to learn about stare so, I'm not quite sure what the intention of the phrase is, does it mean perhaps: "Keep in the game"?

Grazie e Buon Natale,
    Pirlo
    I wonder if it might mean "We're in play", "We're in the game", "Let's play", "The game's afoot" -- natives will chime in in a flash...

Ste79

Italia
    In my opinion it dipends on the context.. probably they don't believe you (yet) and with "stiamo al gioco" they say that they wait to decide if you are a "troll" or they can trust you (in you / on you? I can't remember sorry ;))

Saoul

Italian
    Sorry Ste, I don't get it. Stare al gioco means to play along with somebody. It's a sort of ligher "assecondare" (to go along with somebody).

Ste79

Italia
    Sorry Ste, I don't get it. Stare al gioco means to play along with somebody. It's a sort of ligher "assecondare" (to go along with somebody).
    It dipends on the context, imho..
    In a forum it's easy to think a sentence as "Stiamo al gioco" (e vediamo) che può essere sottointeso.
    On the other hand it's a videogame forum..
    I'd like to read all the thread to understand better :)

Saoul

Italian
    Ste, scusami, ma continuo a non capire. Cos'altro potrebbe voler dire "stiamo al gioco" a parte "assecondiamo la situazione"?
    E in che senso è un "videogame forum"? :confused:

Ste79

Italia
    Lui si e' presentato, magari dicendo che e' australiano..
    Gli utenti di un forum inizialmente sono scettici e dicono: "Ok, stiamo al gioco e vediamo se è solo uno che le spara grosse o è sincero".
    Mi è capitato in diversi forum di leggere cose del genere.

Il fatto che sia un forum di videogiochi d'altra parte potrebbe suggerire che sia un modo per salutare (anche se dubito).

P.s. : non avevo mai notato quanto fosse difficile scrivere correttamente in italiano con punteggiatura e maiuscole!! :D

Pirlo

English
    Oh right! Sorry. Pirlo, that reply doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO.
    You did far a better job with your Italian than he did.
    Thanks! It really means a lot to me! :) I just hope he wasn't insulting me.. :(

He isn't very clear.. but I think he wanted to say "I'll wait trying to understand if you are joking me.."
    So, he has a disbelief about me? I'm not quite sure what though, this is interesting! :p

Poianone

Italian, Italy
    Hello to everyone!

nexus said:
    I guess the "dracula63" can't believe you are writing from Australia!
    Dear foreroes, I'm not sure you hit the mark:) In my opinion, it is simplier. Pirlo, you presented as a newbie of the xxxonlineforum (I read that magazine since 1990, I adore it!), and one person welcomed you (Eli-Wan), adding the welcome smile. The second forero (Dracula) has written "stiamo al gioco" to say: ok, I also welcome you as like Eli-Wan, adding the same smile. (Stiamo al gioco = continuiamo con i "benvenuto"). It's a very strange construction, but please remember that we are not speaking about a language forum, such as wordreference!

Pirlo

English
    Hi Poianone,
    Thank you for your help! It makes sense. Thanks also to everybody else, I have to admit, it was the most unusual phrase I think I've ever heard in this context!

Grazie e Buon Natale a tutti,
    Pirlo

Saoul

Italian
    Hello to everyone!

Dear foreroes, I'm not sure you hit the mark:) In my opinion, it is simplier. Pirlo, you presented as a newbie of the xxxonlineforum (I read that magazine since 1990, I adore it!), and one person welcomed you (Eli-Wan), adding the welcome smile. The second forero (Dracula) has written "stiamo al gioco" to say: ok, I also welcome you as like Eli-Wan, adding the same smile. (Stiamo al gioco = continuiamo con i "benvenuto"). It's a very strange construction, but please remember that we are not speaking about a language forum, such as wordreference!
    You're the man!

< Previous | Next >