Starring vs. featuring

< Previous | Next >

°° Cocotte °°

French (France)
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between "starring" and "featuring" - if there's any. The context would be movies/advertising.
To be more precise, I would like to talk about a commercial that is produced as a cartoon instead of the usual "films starring/featuring some famous actor/actress".

Thanks in advance!

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We need to see the word in context. Please give us the sentence in which you might use one of these words, Cocotte. We can then comment on whether or not it's used correctly.

°° Cocotte °°

French (France)
    I provided context in my first post : I would like to talk about a commercial that is produced as a cartoon instead of the usual "films starring/featuring some famous actor/actress". This is pretty much the sentence I'd like to write

°° Cocotte °°

French (France)
    Ok, sorry I wasn't clear.
    A concrete example could be: "I think their latest commercial is better than the one starring/featuring Julia Roberts".

sdgraham

USA English
    I still don't see how a cartoon can "star" a real person. Do you meant "portraying?" Can you please explain?

Starring and featuring might or might not mean the same thing, according to the way the organization involved uses it.

The American television program Saturday Night Live (SNL) uses "featuring" to denote new, i.e. probationary, cast members, for example.

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

portray /pɔːˈtreɪ/vb (transitive)
    • to represent in a painting, drawing, sculpture, etc; make a portrait of
    • to make a verbal picture of; depict in words
    • to play the part of (a character) in a play or film

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Cocotte.

I'd use "featuring" in that sentence. Like sdgraham, I find "starring" inappropriate for language about somebody's role in a commercial. I'm sure you could find other English-speakers who would use "starring" in the sentence, but I wouldn't.

°° Cocotte °°

French (France)
    Thank you very much for your answers! As I understand it, starring would be "stronger" than featuring - tell me if I'm mistaken!

Sdgraham: nevermind about the cartoon thing, I shouldn't even have brought it up because it's not directly related to the starring/featuring question and it mixed things up. I'm just comparing one perfume commercial that is cartoon-like, to the usual perfume commercials that are produced as regular short films featuring actors/celebrities.

Thanks again!

I don't see how anyone, any real person, can be featured or star in a cartoon. So I agree with Parla. Is there some strange hybrid involved? I can imagine a cartoon depiction of someone, say "Mae West", but in that case Mae West, the person could not be said to be 'featured' or 'starring'.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between "starring" and "featuring" - if there's any. The context would be movies/advertising.
    To be more precise, I would like to talk about a commercial that is produced as a cartoon instead of the usual "films starring/featuring some famous actor/actress".

Thanks in advance!

< Previous | Next >