Start / stop

Poland91pl

Polish
Hello
I was watching an Instagram real. The man was filming his father and the father said “ Joe you start to piss me off now“ why didn’t he say “ you’re starting to piss me off “ - as he added “now”, at the moment ?

Is it the same with stop ? If I’m doing something at the moment and I’ve had enough “ do I say “ I stop !” ?

* is the article correct ?

• owlman5

English-US
    The man was filming his father and the father said “ Joe you start to piss me off now“ why didn’t he say “ you’re starting to piss me off “ - as he added “now”, at the moment ?
    Hello. The father's choice was unusual. You're starting to piss me off is the ordinary way to say this.

Is it the same with stop ? If I’m doing something at the moment and I’ve had enough “ do I say “ I stop !” ?
    No. If you got tired of doing something and intended to stop doing it, I would expect to hear something like this: I've had enough. I'm going to stop now.

se16teddy

English - England
    “You start” is explainable as an example of the “comment and commentary” use of the simple present tense.
    The present continuous would be more usual; the more recherché simple present might be an attempt at sarcasm.