start that way

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Alex's friends are driving to look for him. When they arrive, Clear, who know approximately where he could be, tells the two guys in the car:
— He could be anywhere from here to a mile down the road, so you guys drive down there and start that way, and we'll meet back around the middle. All right?
Final Destination, movie

Does it imply that when they drive a mile down the road, they are supposed to turn around and drive back half a mile until they meet Clear going towards the car? If so, what exactly does "that way" mean, and if it sounds clear at all what she wants?
Thanks.

• lingobingo

English - England
    I took it to mean that Clear had got out of the car and told the others to drive on for a mile and then start coming back (presumably on foot, like him), so that they would each search half of the mile, meeting up again in the middle of it.

lingobingo

English - England
    All I know about this story is what that line tells us, which is very little. But if she is walking and the others are driving, they would be going at different speeds. So quite apart from the fact that they wouldn't reach the middle at the same time, it all seems a bit illogical.

paul-ny

English-US
    This could mean various things, but I think that "start that way" isn't specifying whether to start in a car or on foot, it's just saying to start doing something, which is probably to go that way. In the movie the speaker probably would have been pointing or indicating a direction to go in; that is probably how "that way" is being used, as a direction to move in, not as a manner in which to do something.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you all for the replies.

Because you didn't say that she had any other mode of transportation.
    Oh, I don't know why I said "Clear":oops:, I meant the two guys that were in the car.

In the movie the speaker probably would have been pointing or indicating a direction to go in; that is probably how "that way" is being used, as a direction to move in, not as a manner in which to do something.
    Yes, she was pointing with her fingers in the direction the car was to be heading first, while saying "drive down there and start that way". It's still confusing though, because looks like "down there" and "that way" are the same direction:confused: