start the season

• lingobingo

English - England
    It indicates the new season – this year’s football season. This is a very specific season, so the definite article is needed. With the indefinite article (a season), no particular season would be specified; it would be a general reference to one/any season.

As Michael Swan explains in his Practical English Usage:
    The usually means something like ‘you know which I mean’. We use the before a noun (singular, plural or uncountable) when our listener/reader knows (or can easily see) which particular person(s), thing(s), etc we are talking about.​

stuupid

Banned
    Sundanese
    It indicates the new season – this year’s football season. This is a very specific season, so the definite article is needed. With the indefinite article (a season), no particular season would be specified; it would be a general reference to one/any season.

As Michael Swan explains in his Practical English Usage:
    The usually means something like ‘you know which I mean’. We use the before a noun (singular, plural or uncountable) when our listener/reader knows (or can easily see) which particular person(s), thing(s), etc we are talking about.​
    I know "the" means "this" here. But why not use "this?" This is what my confusion lies. For something new, does we use "the?"

Arsenal start this season with a win.
    What a start to this season.

lingobingo

English - England
    Why or why not is almost always an unanswerable question in this forum. It simply isn’t necessary (and wouldn’t sound natural, particularly in a headline) to say this season when everyone expects you to say, and knows what you mean by, the season – namely, the season that’s just starting.

Last edited:

cidertree

Béarla na hÉireann (Hiberno-English)
    Use the when you can answer which? - the season - which season? - this one.

Using the doesn't exclude the use of this.

lingobingo

English - England
    I'm confused. Do you mean "the" is used to talk about something at the moment?
    Of course not. It’s the definite article as opposed to the indefinite one, that’s all. In this instance, the specific season it indicates happens to be the current one.