starting raining/to rain

e174043

Turkish,Azerbaijani
It's starting to rain
It's starting raining. (It's wrong according to my book.)

"Start" takes both "gerund" and "infinitive" but I've seen something in my grammer book and it says "We cannot use "Ving form" after the continiouse tense."
What about you natives?
Do you use the second sentence normally?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    I don't think there's a hard and fast rule here, e174043: I can imagine situations in which "I'm starting verbing" would sound perfectly natural.

I do think, though, that when we have a choice, as we do with "begin" and "start", we would normally opt for an infinitive after a continuous tense. Other verbs that spring to mind are "intend" and "continue".

MilkyBarKid

British English
    'It's raining" : Present Continues indicates that the rain started prior to NOW, the moment of speaking; continues as an event, but has a foreseeable END = "It's stopped raining."

So, if it's already started, how can you say, at the same moment NOW, that it is starting raining ???

'start' : begin or be reckoned from a particular point in time or space.

Language is such fun!;)

Last edited:

e174043

Turkish,Azerbaijani
    I don't know MilkyBarKid how I can say "it is starting raining".
    I just saw in a text.
    I mean I didn't say:).
    Yet, I think we can say "it's starting raining" at the begining of the raining.
    If you're with your friends at out and it's just started raining,
    Can you say "It's starting to rain, let's go to a café." ?

Last edited:

rm321

English - UK
    It makes sense, I think the reason we would choose to say "it's starting to rain" instead is that it sounds nicer, the repetition of -ing in "starting raining" sounds a bit silly to me.

e174043

Turkish,Azerbaijani
    I'd already understood. It was fun "I didn't say:)" . I just wanted to ask " Do you say "It's starting to rain" I mean whether you use the present prograssive in this situation or not.
    By the way, Thank you rm321. I got what you didn't use.

Thanks in Advance

< Previous | Next >