State of absconding

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Forum members,

Is there any word in the English diction that would represent the state of having absconded? For instance the state of redeeming is redemption. Something along those lines is what I am shooting for.

Best Regards,
Sheikh

• Sheikh_14

I am merely inquiring if anything of that sort, springs to mind. A prisoner absconds but is there such a word that would represent the state of him having absconded? I was having trouble figuring out a word that would fit the bill. Perhaps there is none. I hope you or anyone for that matter can help me in that quest.

Isabel-libros

English(UK)/Greek - bilingual
    Isn't "abscondment" only used in American English? "Absconding" refers to the act itself. I can't think of another noun that could be used, as "absconsion" is archaic.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Is there any word in the English diction that would represent the state of having absconded? For instance the state of redeeming is redemption. Something along those lines is what I am shooting for.
    It would be very helpful for you to provide an example of a full sentence in which you could place the word.:thumbsup:

There is absquatulation but it is rare in British or American English other than as a humorous word, although it still exists in (as you will know) in Indian (Subcontinental) English.
    OED: "2008 Arkansas Times (Nexis) 17 Jan. The goldfinches were back at the feeders with not nare excuse for their rude sudden absquatulation of the week before."

There is also decampment that is rarer - I believe that also exists in IndE.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I think abscondment would be more likely to refer to the phenomenon as such rather than a particular person's state of having absconded.
    There is also abscondence. That might work, although I have somewhat the same reservation about it.
    Sheik, do you have an example sentence in which you would wish to use the word?
    I suspect the real answer is that you should probably avoid expressing your idea that way. ;)

Sheikh_14

Abscondment, is precisely the sort of word I was looking for. Although I wasn't quite sure it actually existed. So to the two gentleman who have corroborated the legitimacy of the word. Very much appreciative, for that!

< Previous | Next >