state-of-the-art

runnery

China,Chinese
Hi,

Can the adj phase "state-of-the-art" be described the manufacturing process. For example:

Our company has the state-of-the-art manufacturing process and advanced internationally-minded solutions.

Does this sentence makes some sense to you?

Please help me correct them if you find any questions above.

Thanks.

• gomie2003

Kansas, USA - English
    I would say:

Our company uses state-of-the-art manufacturing processes and advanced, internationally-minded solutions.

and it makes perfect sense to me.

volky

Spanish/English
    Hi,

Can the adj phase "state-of-the-art" be described the manufacturing process. For example:

Our company has the state-of-the-art manufacturing process and advanced internationally-minded ??? solutions.

Does this sentence makes some sense to you? Not much sense to me.

Thanks.
    Maybe if you tell us what is you want to tell, so we can figure out a better sentence for you.

runnery

China,Chinese
    Thanks for all your advice.

I am sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Actually, I want to express two points.

1. We use advanced manufacturing process. Because this is a company porfile, I want to emphasis the process, so I use state-of-the-art.

2. We use advanced design solution. and this design has reached the level of international technology.

Thanks again.

Runnery

tomandjerryfan

English (Canada)
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean in your second explanation. Do you mean your design solutions are internationally recognized? Perhaps:

"We use state-of-the-art manufacturing processes, and design solutions that have gained international recognition."

liliput

U.K. English
    Hi,

Our company has the state-of-the-art manufacturing process and advanced internationally-minded solutions.

Does this sentence makes some sense to you?

Thanks.
    Our company has state-of-the-art manufacturing processes and advanced internationally-minded solutions.
    Two minor corrections and it makes perfect sense to me.
    I take "internationally-minded" to mean that the company is aware of international differences and can adapt their technology to meet particular needs. However, according to your explanation you mean something else. I agree with tomandjerryfan that you are talking about "international recognition" or possibly "international standards", in which case I suggest one of the following:
    Our company has state-of-the-art manufacturing processes and advanced, internationally recognized solutions.
    or
    Our company has state-of-the-art manufacturing processes and advanced solutions of international standard.
    It's probable that what you want to say is covered by "state-of-the-art" in which case:
    Our company has state-of-the-art manufacturing processes and solutions.

volky

Spanish/English
    Thanks for all your advice.

I am sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Actually, I want to express two points.

1. We use advanced manufacturing process. Because this is a company porfile, I want to emphasis the process, so I use state-of-the-art.

2. We use advanced design solution. and this design has reached the level of international technology.

Thanks again.

Runnery
    Now we are talking!

First, we should take a look at some definitions, to see how the terms fit your concept.

state of the art: is the highest level of development, as of a device, technique, or scientific field, achieved at a particular time. (it should be hyphenated when used as an adjective, which is your case, but not when used as a noun).

topnotch: Of the highest quality.

Here my version:

Our company products are developed following an international recognized topnotch design solution and employing state-of-the-art manufacturing processes.

I change your order because the design comes before the manufacturing process.

Hope this helps. :)

liliput

U.K. English
    Now we are talking!

First, we should take a look at some definitions, to see how the terms fit your concept.

state of the art: is the highest level of development, as of a device, technique, or scientific field, achieved at a particular time. (it should be hyphenated when used as an adjective, which is your case, but not when used as a noun).

topnotch: Of the highest quality.

Here my version:

Our company products are developed following an internationally recognized topnotch design solution and employing state-of-the-art manufacturing processes.

I change your order because the design comes before the manufacturing process.

Hope this helps. :)
    Topnotch is a little informal for this type of sentence, high quality would be fine. However, I think the notion of high quality is implicit in the fact that it's internationally recognized.

volky

Spanish/English
    Topnotch is a little informal for this type of sentence, high quality would be fine. However, I think the notion of high quality is implicit in the fact that it's internationally recognized.

Thanks for the correction in internationally. :)

I agree that we could omit using topnotch, I just suggested it to reinforce runnery's point.

In this particular case, internationally recognized is synonym with top quality, but this is not true for everything, (ex. global warming). But then, this is a discussion matter for another thread :D.

< Previous | Next >