State vs event

babai

bangla, bangoli
1. I see you standing in front of me.
2. I hear what you are saying.
3. Now I understand why she left me.

A. Do "see", "hear" and "understand" verbs in the three sentences above express "the state"?

a) Then I go to the next door and (I) see that my brother stands smiling.
b) I hear that you have retired.
c) Then, my brother comes to me and explains everything, after hearing my brother, I understand the matter.

B. Do "see", "hear" and "understand" verbs in the three sentences above express "the event" and do these verb above carry the sense of immediacy? Please get me clear.

• KHS

I'm guessing that you've been taught these verbs as "stative," but with different categories that explain why they are used in simple present (aka present simple). I'm not familiar with this type of division or labeling, but I myself don't teach them this way.

I teach them as conditions rather than actions. Sometimes lack of intention (as in "hear" versus "listen to") becomes involved. At any rate, I would be glad to look at whatever categories you've been given, but understand that those categories are simply a way to try to explain a phenomenon that exists in the language. In other words, we know it exists first, and we try to explain it second.

sdgraham

USA English
    I'm guessing that you've been taught these verbs as "stative," but with different categories that explain why they are used in simple present (aka present simple). I'm not familiar with this type of division or labeling, but I myself don't teach them this way.

I teach them as conditions rather than actions. Sometimes lack of intention (as in "hear" versus "listen to") becomes involved. At any rate, I would be glad to look at whatever categories you've been given, but understand that those categories are simply a way to try to explain a phenomenon that exists in the language. In other words, we know it exists first, and we try to explain it second.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    (I regard your approach as very, very strange.)

< Previous | Next >