state welfare /vs./ welfare state

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Hi,
As you know "welfare state" means a system in which the government provides money, free medical care etc for people who are unemployed, ill, or too old to work.

On the official website of Iran welfare state, it's written "state welfare" instead of "welfare state".

I think they have made a mistake there. Am I right?

This is the website ==> پایگاه اطلاع رسانی بهزیستی کل کشور

Thank you.

• RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    In a noun pile, only the last noun is really a noun - the others are adjectives.

Welfare state - a certain kind of state (a state which provides welfare)
    State welfare - a certain kind of welfare (welfare which is provided by a state)

As dermott said, the State Welfare Organisation/DepartmentWhatever is the organisation/department/whatever that deals with state welfare. (It could also be interpreted as being the welfare department that is operated by the state.)

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Thanks for answering but I got shocked when I saw you all say "state welfare" is better than "welfare state" to be used in the website. All of the dictionaries say:

A welfare state is where the government has a duty to provide some level of basic support for its citizens, including Social Security.

welfare = health and happiness
    state = organization
    welfare state = an organization that provides health and happiness for the citizens

state welfare = health and happiness of the organization (which is odd to me. It's as if the organization is a person who has health and happiness)

That's why I say that "welfare state" is better than "state welfare". Aren't I right?

Thank you.

Szkot

UK English
    welfare state = an organization that provides health and happiness for the citizens
    A 'welfare state' is not an organisation - it is a state or country where the government has a duty to provide some level of basic support for its citizens.

The State Welfare Organisation is a government (state) agency, which provides welfare.

< Previous | Next >