statistical averages mean little when measured against the harsh realities of peasant life

< Previous | Next >

s.salehi9001

persian
Hi guys,
could you please help me like always?

Village handicrafts diminished or died out completely as people bought imported consumer goods, like cloth and tools, instead of making them themselves. More economic variation took shape in rural villages, as some grew prosperous from farming while others did not. As well as can be measured, rural standards of living improved in the Fifth Reign. But the statistical averages mean little when measured against the harsh realities of peasant life.

I am confused:
When they could buy imported goods, so how they were in harsh life?
Underlined part means that the statistical averages are too low? or peasant life was too lower than the average?
If the average was gained based on peasant life (?) How do the averages not stand for peasant life?
TOEFL sample

I appreciate your kind help, in advance.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    This is not an English language problem, it is a problem of economics, which is the same problem in Farsi: economics lesson 101: If you have people who produce goods in the village, this contributes to the economy of the village. If you import goods, the producers become unemployed and at the same time, money flows out of the village.
    Underlined part means that the statistical averages are too low? or peasant life was too lower than the average?
    It does not mean either of those things. It means "We should disregard statistical averages because the harsh realities of life were the most important factor."
    If the average was gained based on peasant life (?) How do the averages not stand for peasant life?
    I don't think you understand "averages".

Fill one bowl with water at 80 degrees C.
    Fill another bowl with water at 1 degree C.
    Put your left hand in water at 80 degrees C.
    Put your right hand in the water at 1 degree C.

On average, you should be comfortable because the average temperature of the water in both bowls is 40.5 degrees...

Do you see how averages are deceptive?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi guys,
    could you please help me like always?

Village handicrafts diminished or died out completely as people bought imported consumer goods, like cloth and tools, instead of making them themselves. More economic variation took shape in rural villages, as some grew prosperous from farming while others did not. As well as can be measured, rural standards of living improved in the Fifth Reign. But the statistical averages mean little when measured against the harsh realities of peasant life.

I am confused:
    TOEFL sample

I appreciate your kind help, in advance.
    Many of the things which contribute to their comfort are not measured by such statistics at all because not marketed - like a clement winter, the degree to which people make things for themselves, the degree to which they exchange things by barter rather than for money, wars, good relations among the villagers, and many other similar things.

DaylightDelight

Japanese - Tokyo
    Another example:
    99 people in a village earn $1 a month. Only one person earns $4,901 a month. The average is $50 a person.
    Can $50 a month really represent the people's earning in this village?

< Previous | Next >