stayed/have stayed

< Previous | Next >

Gala_k

russian
The frase is:
In order to pay the invoice of the hotel where you have stayed (or stayed??), we need the Travel Authorization Request signed by you.

• sdon

Italian
    I think "Stayed" sounds better here as the action is past

You stayed and you went away now you are not there any longer.

sevengem

Chinese
    Here is an exercise.
    Mary _______ (stay) there for three years last year.

I filled in the blank with "has stayed" , but the answer is "stayed". The explanatin is that "last year" indicate a specific time in the past, which is not used with present perfect. If the sentence was changed to "Mary _______ (stay) there for three years." , then my answer would be right. Is that so to native speakers?

Xander2024

Russian
    Here is an exercise.

I filled in the blank with "has stayed" , but the answer is "stayed". The explanatin is that "last year" indicate a specific time in the past, which is not used with present perfect. If the sentence was changed to "Mary _______ (stay) there for three years." , then my answer would be right. Is that so to native speakers?
    If Mary is still there, it would be "Mary has been staying there for three years now."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Here is an exercise.

I filled in the blank with "has stayed" , but the answer is "stayed". The explanation is that "last year" indicate a specific time in the past, which is not used with present perfect.
    Neither answer makes any sense. "Last year" is a period of one year. Mary or anyone else could not stay anywhere for three years during one year. Are you sure those were the only two choices given?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    [...]If the sentence was changed to "Mary _______ (stay) there for three years." , then my answer would be right. Is that so to native speakers?
    With that change to the sentence, yes, your version is possible, as well as their answer.
    Mary has stayed there for three years.
    Mary stayed there for three years.
    Xander's suggestion is also possible.

I suspect that the original sentence was supposed to be:
    Mary _______ (stay) there for three days last year.
    Then stayed would fit.
    Mary stayed there for three days last year.

< Previous | Next >