Staying High and Dry in a Recession

< Previous | Next >

changeling

Russia, russian
Dear group!

I ran into the article titled Staying High and Dry in a Recession. I ask for your help here, though I dare to propose that it means like to be broke in recession times.

Thanks in advance

• changeling

Russia, russian
    Actually, that is why I asked for help. An author encourages investing in gold and silver to avoid recession effects on personal income

changeling

Russia, russian
    but dictionary definitely says that high and dry is the state of not having money, so I was confused about consistency of the title and the insights of the article

pitufina04

England, English
    Exactly, the author is offering advice on how to stay "high and dry in a recession", i.e. what tactics you can use so as not to notice the negative economic effects of a recession.

Maybe I´m not explaining myself very well...

gasman

Canada, English
    I would define that "high and dry" means being left without the resources you require after being directed to do something.

pitufina04

England, English
    I found "leave someone high and dry", which means to leave someone in a difficult situation, but "staying high and dry" to me means staying away from a difficult situation, i.e. a recession...

Alixfont

USA English
    Staying "high and dry" in a recession might be a metaphor referring to a flood.
    To be "high and dry" may mean to be preserved from the bad effects of an economic recession - as the animals were protected high and dry in Noah's Arc.
    The economic adviser is offering advice of preserving one's financial assets in time
    of recession so that one rides out the storm. In time of flood it is life saving to
    find a high and dry position.

< Previous | Next >