Staying on the subject of climate change

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"Staying on the subject of climate change for a few more minutes, there was another bright spot this past week amid all the dire warnings we have been hearing about the effects of climate change."

Separating "ing" clause to the front or the end of a sentence can mean several things. Example: "You being my boyfriend, I'd like to invite you to my home." ->
"because you're my boyfriend" / "Looking globally, many countries are participating." -> "When you look at it globally"

What "Staying on the subject" can be in a phrase?

source: Deep Seagrass Bed Could Stall Climate Change, If Climate Change Doesn't Kill It First

• grassy

Polish
    Trascribed as it is, it looks like the error known as the dangling participle, because the subject of "staying" (which is "we") should match "there" and it doesn't.
    Having said that, I think that in speech it wouldn't have sounded wrong to me because the pause would have been long enough so as to indicate that the clauses are very loosely connected.

lingobingo

English - England
    Sounds fine to me. In full it could be expressed as:

Staying on the subject of climate change for a few more minutes, [I’m happy to say [that]] there was another bright spot this past week amid all the dire warnings we have been hearing about the effects of climate change.

nagomi

Korean
    Sounds fine to me. In full it could be expressed as:

Staying on the subject of climate change for a few more minutes, [I’m happy to say [that]] there was another bright spot this past week amid all the dire warnings we have been hearing about the effects of climate change.
    Is it "while we are staying"?

lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t see it quite like that, but you’ve got the right idea.

It would also be idiomatic if it began: “Still on the subject of climate change…”.

< Previous | Next >