steady at heart

Madeso

French - France
Il s'agit de la traduction d'une prière, contexte assez poétique. Pour utiliser un seul verbe (be)pour toute la phrase, je voudrais savoir si "to be steady at heart" est acceptable, comme on dit "good at heart" or "wild at heart" or would the expression seem too oultlandish to an English or American ear?
Thanks for any help!

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    It doesn't really sound good to me. But we'd need context to judge. Could you give some of that? I'd be inclined to try something like, "Be steadfast", but again, context is needed.

Madeso

French - France
    Merci, le début de la phrase est quelque chose comme "que nous ayons un coeur ferme, un jugement clair, une détermination sans retour." My attempt was : "May we be steady at heart, clearsighted in our judgment, and unwavering in our determination."
    I guess that by following your suggestion something like "May our hearts be steadfast, our judgement clearsighted, and our determination unwavering." would be better. Or would you translate otherwise? Thanks!

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    I think that your second option, "May our hearts be steadfast, etc.," is actually very good. I would go with that myself.

< Previous | Next >